Researcher in prunus breeding (almond and peach) for the Fruit Production Program
IRTA is currently seeking a Researcher in Prunus Breeding (almond and peach). The Researcher will lead the breeding research line and focus on planning and coordinating the breed and development of new almond and peach varieties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To identify and integrate areas of research that will boost the performance of this research line, and of the operational management to ensure the timely delivery of outcomes and impacts for our key customer(s).
- To breed and develop new almond and peach varieties, implementing the coordination and planning of breeding programs.
- To control and supervise the tasks related to fruit breeding. Seedling selection assessment at different stages both in the field and in the laboratory.
- To establish the breeding methodology to follow in coordination with the breeding team.
- To design crosses according to breeding aims.
- Planning and supervision of work related to plant material (parents, progenies seedlings and selections) from the breeding program.
- To select seedlings in the greenhouse and the field, including marker assisted breeding.
- To supervise and manage seedlings in selection plots.
- To assess agronomically and commercially new selections.
- To assess selections in the field and the laboratory according to taste and sensory evaluation parameters and biochemical contents.
- To management, maintain and analyse breeding databases.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. in Plant Science (Degree in plant breeding and genetics, agronomy, plant biology or related).
- More than 3 years of experience in plant breeding and/or genetics, preferably on fruit trees.
- Post-doc and/or research position, with a minimum experience of 2 years in an international research institution.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in genetics and molecular marker assisted selection (MAS) applied to plant breeding programmes.
- Sound knowledge of statistics applied to plant breeding and genetics.
- Sound informatics background at advance user level of the Office package (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and data analysis programs.
- Proficiency in English, both spoken and written.
- Full driving license for Europe and travelling availability.
- Skills and experience in fruit orchard management.
- Skills and experience in fruit quality determination (sensory, instrumental and biochemical analysis).
- Experience as research project leader during at least 3 years.
- Capacity in fruit industry concertation, technology transfer and fostering innovation added value.
- Knowledge of Catalan and Spanish will also be valued.
- Strong organizational capability and ability to learn and successfully work withinmultidisciplinary teams and experience to motivate research teams.
- Receptive to challenges and results oriented.
- Capacity and skills to develop and encourage strong collaborative links with the national and international scientific community and the fruit industry sector (Catalan, Spanish and European).
- Capacity to anticipate, plan and write R+D projects, reports and technical documents.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted permanently with a probationary period of 6 months. Gross salary will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience.
IRTA offers a rich environment for knowledge development and exchange where to develop a scientific career, and possibilities for professional promotion according to the attained achievements.
KEY STEPS IN THE SELECTION PROCESS
If you wish to be considered for this position, please, go to the link: http://www.irta.cat/en/work-at-irta/ and register yourself. You should load your CV in Adobe Acrobat pdf format before the 14th of August 2021. All information will be in the strictest confidence.